Black Forest Cake
Makes one three-layer 8-inch round cake
2 packages Proteinfull Baking Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake Mix
1 1/3 cup water
6 large eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
12oz dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved (if frozen, defrost and drain, reserving 3 tablespoons liquid)
2 tablespoons cherry liqueur
3 tablespoons reserved cherry juice (or more liqueur)
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners erythritol
9oz sugar free chocolate we recommend chocolate sweetened with stevia and erythritol or monkfruit
8 fresh cherries with stems for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (use an oven thermometer for best results). Line the bottom of three 8” round cake pans with parchment paper, then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix with water, eggs, and oil (or applesauce). Mix just until no lumps remain.
- Divide batter into the three pans.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-28 minutes, and remove from oven as soon as a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cakes are baking, begin to make the chocolate bark by melting the 9oz sugar free chocolate. (Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring each time. Once the chocolate is mostly melted and a few lumps remain, stir until completely melted.)
- Pour the melted chocolate onto a piece of parchment paper, and spread it into an even thin layer.
- Roll the parchment up. Use a rubberband or tape to secure the roll, and refrigerate.
- After removing cakes from oven, let cool 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack before building the cake.
- Once cakes are cool, combine the cherry liqueur with cherry juice, and brush onto the cakes.
- Prepare the whipped cream by combining the heavy cream and erythritol. Beat on high just until stiff peaks form.
- Begin to build the layer cake by placing one cake layer and topping with 1/4 of the whipped cream. Place cut cherries into the whipped cream, and top with another layer of cake. Add more whipped cream and cherries, and top with remaining cake layer. Top the cake with whipped cream, making 8 equally spaced swirls for the fresh cherries (if using).
- Use remaining whipped cream around the sides of the cake. This will help adhere the chocolate bark.
- Remove chocolate from refrigerator, and unroll. Use the chocolate pieces to cover the outside of the cake, placing them vertically.
- Top with fresh cherries, slice, and enjoy! Store refrigerated.
Nutrition (prepared with oil)
Serving: 1/16 recipe, Calories: 318, Fat: 24g, Chol: 123mg, Sodium: 258mg, Carbohydrates: 38g, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 6g, Added Sugar: 1.5g, Erythritol: 18g, Protein: 13g, Net Carbs: 7g.
Nutrition (prepared with applesauce)
Serving: 1/16 recipe, Calories: 273, Fat: 18g, Chol: 123mg, Sodium: 258mg, Carbohydrates: 39g, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 6.5g, Added Sugar: 1.5g, Erythritol: 18g, Protein: 13g, Net Carbs: 9g.
Let's get baking! Buy our Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake mix to make this Black Forest Cake.