German Chocolate Cake
Makes one three-layer 8-inch round cake, 12 servings
2 packages Proteinfull Baking Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake Mix
1 1/3 cup water
6 large eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup erythritol-based brown sugar replacement
3 large egg yolks
8oz low fat evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup chopped pecans
12 pecan halves (to decorate the top, optional)
1.5oz sugar free milk chocolate (to cover the pecans, also optional) we recommend chocolate sweetened with stevia and erythritol or monkfruit
- Preheat oven to 325°F (use an oven thermometer for best results). Line the bottom of three 8” round cake pans with parchment paper, then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix with water, eggs, and oil (or applesauce). Mix just until no lumps remain.
- Divide batter into the three pans.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-28 minutes, and remove from oven as soon as a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cakes are baking, begin to make the coconut pecan filling. In a medium saucepan, combine coconut oil, brown sugar replacement, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking a few times. Once boiling, whisk continuously until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and fold in the pecans and coconut. Cool completely before building the cake.
- After removing cakes from oven, let cool 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack before building the cake.
- If topping with chocolate covered pecans, melt the sugar free milk chocolate. (Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring each time. Once the chocolate is mostly melted and a few lumps remain, stir until completely melted.)
- Using a fork, dip the pecans in the melted chocolate, and place on a parchment-lined plate. Once all pecans are dipped, place the plate in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, until chocolate is set.
- Once cakes are cool, build the layer cake by placing one cake layer and topping with 1/3 of the coconut pecan mixture. Repeat for the other two layers of cake.
- Top with chocolate covered pecans, and enjoy! Store refrigerated.
Let's get baking! Buy our Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake mix to make this German Chocolate Cake.