Salted Caramel Mile High Cake
Makes one six-layer 8-inch round cake
2 packages Proteinfull Baking Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake Mix
1 1/3 cup water
6 large eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
Caramel sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup erythritol-based brown sugar replacement
1/3 cup kabocha sweetener
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons alcohol-free vanilla extract
pinch of salt
One recipe Chocolate Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (use an oven thermometer for best results). Line the bottom of three 8” round cake pans with parchment paper, then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix with water, eggs, and oil (or applesauce). Mix just until no lumps remain.
- Divide batter into the three pans.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-28 minutes, and remove from oven as soon as a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cakes are baking, begin to make the caramel. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, erythritol, and kabocha sweeteners. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the heavy cream, whisking until combined.
- Stir in salt to taste, and let the caramel cool completely (it will thicken as it cools).
- After removing cakes from oven, let cool 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack before building the cake.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare one recipe of Chocolate Buttercream (p.32)
- Once cakes are cool, slice them in half horizontally so you’ll have a total of 6 cake layers.
- Build the layer cake by placing one cake layer, and piping chocolate buttercream on top, just around the edge in a circle. Spoon some caramel in the middle of the circle, and top with another layer. Repeat for the next 4 layers.
- After placing the top layer of cake, frost the top and sides with chocolate buttercream.
- Slice and enjoy! Store refrigerated.
Nutrition (cake prepared with oil)
Serving: 1/12 cake, Calories: 298, Fat: 26g, Chol: 108mg, Sodium: 169mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 2g, Added Sugar: 1g, Erythritol: 20g, Protein: 8g, Net Carbs: 3g.
Nutrition (cake prepared with applesauce)
Serving: 1/12 cake, Calories: 268, Fat: 22g, Chol: 108mg, Sodium: 169mg, Carbohydrates: 31g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 2.5g, Added Sugar: 1g, Erythritol: 20g, Protein: 8g, Net Carbs: 4g.
Let's get baking! Buy our Velvety Chocolate Protein Cake Mix to make this Salted Caramel Mile High Cake.